Great Wishford, Wiltshire
There is evidence of a Roman settlement at Great Wishford in the form of earthworks, and a good haul of Roman coins found at Edisbury Hill to the west. The main road through Great Wishford, apparently of Saxon origin, runs between Wilton and Warminster linking the villages on the right bank of the Wylye. This road is now seemingly more popular with cyclists and those living and working in the villages, than those going to and beyond Warminster and Salisbury, the road on the other side of the Wylye River being a much faster 'A' road, the A36. The Salisburyto Warminster section of the Great Western Railway opened in 1856, and still runs through the valley, a station was built in the village in 1856, but was closed in 1955. There's now no shop in the village, but there is the primary school, church, and decent pub. An unusual feature is to be found in the boundary wall of the church - stones giving the price of bread, these seem to have begun to be laid by the village baker to give clarity, and explanation of sudden price rises during shortages of wheat during the first part of the 19th century, and repeated at times during the 20th century.