Steeple Ashton, Wiltshire
One of the prettiest villages in Wiltshire Steeple Ashton was formerly a manor of Romsey Abbey, until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Steeple Ashton's wealth came from the woolen industry, which it later lost to nearby Trowbridge. During the wealthy woolen period two wealthy clothiers around the year 1500 funded new aisles to the 13th Century parish church of St Mary. Steeple Ashton gets its name from the steeple of St Mary which sadly, as a result of two lightning strikes in 1670, is no more, during the second strike two workmen were killed and the steeple repairs abandoned. The village retains one shop, community owned, which also houses a cafe, and a pub, the Longs Arms. Steeple Ashton is well worth a walk around.