Just north of the M4, 6 miles north-west of Chippenham, is the small Village of Grittleton. Behind the name 'The Neeld Arms', sitting at the heart, lies much of the history of the village named as it is for the philanthropic nature of the former 'lord of the manor', Joseph Neeld. Joseph was a barrister who apparently gave up his career to care for his wealthy uncle, Philip Rundell the famous silversmith. When his uncle died 13 years later he left him £800,000, a colossal sum now, but that was 1827, wow! With the inheritance Neeld bought the manor of Grittleton and set about replacing the manor house, Grittleton House, building almshouses, and estate worker's cottages, and improving the farms and their buildings. Grittleton House is now a Grade II* wedding venue, and home to the same family since 1967. Manor Farmhouse, one of Joseph's improved farms, and across the road from Grittleton House, is a working free range chicken and outdoor beef farm, but also offers bed and breakfast, its old barns are being converted to smart new homes. As well as the wedding venue, farmhouse, pub, and the Church of St Mary, there are a couple of other bed and breakfasts, a village hall, and a cricket club. As you wander around observe the jaunty spirelet of Malmesbury Lodge, beyond the pub, a former lodge to Grittleton House.
photos to be added